What have you learned from your audience feedback?



How did you use new media technologies in the construction, research and planning and evaluation stages?

Research and planning

For my research I mainly used the internet. News articles and other sources were ways in which I gathered my information for both my main task and ancillary task. I also used primary resources such as gathering newspapers form local areas in order to analyse. When it came down to planning, I used my primary research to help direct me. This is when I chose my template, after conducting a survey. I also had to email in order for my newspaper to have an advert, and find out further information from my college’s Student Union. After analysing the newspapers from my researching stages, I was able to incorporate conventions and forms from there’s into mine. Ideas were easier also after finding a newspaper already in circulation. 


For the construction of my main task I mainly used Microsoft Word. This was because I was able to produce my template for the front and second page. I also had a variety of fonts to choose from when deciding my headline style and my main body style. Photoshop was also used when editing the photo of the main image and of my logo. For my ancillary task I produce a radio advert. This was made using a dictaphone and was pieced together using FinalCut Pro. This allowed me to cut certain parts of my radio advert and assemble together. I also used non-diagetic sounds available from FinalCut Pro which allowed me to include relevant sounds. 

Evaluation stages

I used Web 2.0 such as Facebook in order to gather my audience feedback. This social networking allowed me to gain quick feedback. I used Prezi as a form of presentation for evaluation task 1 which helped me organise my information. A dictaphone was used again when recording my commentary. Using many different forms for my evaluation tasks allowed me to explore and present my outcome in various ways. Prezi organised my information allowing it to be clearly structured. 

evaluation 4

Radio Advertisement

After having researched radio adverts the dayparting lineup I would focus on would be 6-10am as this not only has the most listeners through commuting, but overall that s when the most listeners tune in. The pricing of the advert would be in the 30 second ara. I was aware of this when making the radio advert as I wanted it to be in the lowest pricing bracket due to it being a cheap student newspaper. The price would be around £1,500 for a week slot at this time. I have used both diagetic and non-diagetic sound in the advert to appeal to students.

To conduct my radio advert I used a voice recorder. When editing the footage, I realised that the words would have to appeal to my demographic and persuade as their would not be any imagery to appeal also. Using the non-diagetic sound of the groups of people relates to my demographic, as students are united as a group by the title.

Finished Posters


newspaper student life poster poster 2 newspaperI have completed 2 posters. The first one is to advertise the newspaper and the second one is for a bilboard stand outside a newsagents. I have decided to include the image of the newspaper so it allows the target audience to understand the layout. I have followed the conventions of a newspaper poster by including the heading in bold black writing, with minimal detailing and the title of the newspaper.

Audience feedback:

Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 15.07.49




Audience Feedback

Overall, the audience feedback I received from my finished piece was positive. The feedback said the newspaper appealed to the audience, and the inclusion of the advert makes it realistic.

Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 17.15.29


Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 17.15.35

Front page completed

newspaper 7My finished product is similar to the conventions of a newspaper. The template has been altered from the original chosen one. This is because as I was putting the paper together I felt it didn’t fully work and wasn’t compatible. The advert has remained at the bottom, and the main story is taking up the majority of the page, but I did decide not to include a logo. Instead, I used the Spinnaker Tower as I felt this would relate to my local student audience. The Spinnaker Tower has therefore been incorporated into the title. I feel this is a lot more appealing, and is targeting my demographic. The features have remained on the right hand side as this is noticed when turning the page. I have included features relevant to students, like that of a student holiday as this would appeal to the audience.The colours remained simple, as the audience would be between 16+ and as they mature I wanted a classic looking newspaper, using minimal colours, or using colours from the same groups.